Finding the right Cole slaw recipe can be a challenge. I know, you either like it or hate it. But just the right flavor and Cole slaw comes alive and enhances many dishes.
Once you find a great recipe, Cole slaw is one of the best side dishes for fish, pork, chicken and picnics.
Cole slaw tops pulled pork sandwiches, cools down a hot Cajun dish and goes so well with baked beans.
I think Cole slaw is best served cold and because cabbage is so nutritious, it makes a great healthy side dish.
The red cabbage gives this recipe some added color and a little zip. You can adjust the seasonings to suit your taste.
I like my Cole slaw to have a little sweet with a tang so balancing the sweet with sour can be a personal choice. Most recipes include carrots, pineapple and onions but cabbage is the star.
I really like Cole Slaw from Kentucky fried chicken. It has a fresh flavor so I judge all Cole slaw by this standard.
Give this Cole slaw recipe a try with some fresh cabbage from the garden.
6 cups shredded green cabbage
½ cup of shredded red cabbage
1 Medium carrot shredded
½ cup of buttermilk
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sour cream
½ teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon cider vinegar
¼ teaspoon spicy mustard
1. Place shredded cabbage in a bowl and sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt. Let the cabbage drain in a colander. Let the cabbage set for 1- 2 hours.
2. Rinse the salted cabbage under cold water. Drain cabbage in a colander. Pat the cabbage dry with a paper towel.
3. Combine shredded carrots in a medium bowl with cabbage.
4. Mix buttermilk, mayonnaise and sour cream and Mix. Add celery seed, sugar, ground black pepper, vinegar and mustard. Stir until blended.
5. Pour the dressing over the cabbage and carrots. Stir well. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
Cole Slaw is best if served cold so make this salad ahead of time. Cole slaw can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days but is best the day it is made. Fresh is always best.
Serve and enjoy!
Cabbage salads can be very unique and nutritious. Do you have a great recipe using Cabbage? Please share it!
We are always looking for that great Cole Slaw recipe? Maybe your grandmothers was out of this world. Share it!