Fried Cabbage is a quick and easy side dish that perks up any meal. We love this dish in the winter when cabbage is plentiful and fresh from the fall garden. Its simple ingredients make it easy to serve as I usually have them on hand.
Slice the cabbage by hand or use a food processor to cut into even
slices. I like to keep the sliced cabbage in the refrigerator so this
dish is easy to prepare at a moments notice.
1 head of green cabbage sliced
1-2 slices of bacon
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a medium skillet fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside
2. Add shredded cabbage to skillet and stir until coated evenly.
Salt and pepper. Cover with lid and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes until
cabbage is slightly wilted.
3. Do not over cook, remove from heat and garnish with crumbled bacon
1. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium high heat
2. Add chicken broth, then sliced cabbage and thyme
3. Bring to a simmer and cover. Stir occasionally. Cook until
just tender about 5 minutes. Cabbage will still be a nice green color.
4. Add parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Apples and caraway seems to blend well with cabbage. This recipe uses apples and apple cider to add sweetness. The herbs help balance the sweetness.
this is a quick and easy side dish that blends well with meat and potatoes.
1. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add sliced apples and cook until they begin to brown
2. Add apple cider, thyme and caraway seeds. Simmer until reduced about 3 minutes
3. Add sliced cabbage and stir to combine. Cover and simmer until cabbage is wilted about 5 to 6 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Leftovers of these dishes warm up nicely with just a minute in the microwave. Serve leftovers along side a cheese omelet for breakfast.