I love homemade pumpkin pie, but not all pumpkin pie is equal.
I have tried lots of store bought pies and I have to say homemade is the best.
Pumpkin pie is so easy to make I am not sure why the stores can not get it right.
I started growing my own pie pumpkins a few years ago when the price of canned pumpkin soared.
Now I enjoy growing pumpkins in the garden and I grow enough pumpkins to keep me in pies all year. You can also use those pumpkins for other recipes like pumpkin rolls, soups and cookies.
My mom has been making this pumpkin pie recipe since I can remember. It originally came from the back of the Libby’s pumpkin can. I guess you can’t go wrong with Libby’s pumpkin it is the only ingredient on their label.
You can substitute the pre made pumpkin pie spice in this recipe but it will not taste as good. Along with the evaporated milk this spice combination is what makes this pie taste so good.
Use your favorite pie crust for this pie but remember a low quality crust with ruin the overall quality.
If you don’t want to make your own crust, I find the frozen Marie Calendars pie crusts the best. They are very light and flaky with a good homemade flavor.
Cooking pumpkin ahead of time really saves time. I like to freeze my cooked pumpkin for later use.
Fills one 9-10 inch deep dish pie.
1 3/4 cup cooked pureed pumpkin
1 12 oz can of evaporated milk
2 large eggs
1 9 inch deep dish of your favorite pie crust.
¾ cup of sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F
1. In a small bowl combine sugar, salt and spices. Mix to blend.
2. In a mixer bowl add eggs and beat until light about 2 minutes. Add cooked pumpkin and blend.
3. Add sugar mixture to the pumpkin and stir until combined.
4. Slowly add can of evaporated milk. Blend until evenly distributed through out the pumpkin mixture.
5. Place the pie crust on a baking sheet to catch any spill over. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the pie crust.
6. Carefully place pumpkin pie into the pre heated oven and set timer for 15 minutes to set the filling. After 15 minutes reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and cook for another 20 to 30 minutes.
7. To test for doneness insert a knife tip into the center of the pie. When it comes out clean the pie is ready. Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack.
Serve homemade pumpkin pie with a fresh spoonful of whipped cream.