Roasting pumpkin seeds with the family is a great activity.
Pumpkin and winter squash seeds are high in minerals and omega fatty acids.
Pumpkin and winter squash are full of nutritious seeds. Why not use that nutrition by roasting the seeds.
It’s an easy and a fun activity to do with the kids.
1 cup(64 gms) of Pumpkin Seeds contain the following nutrition:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
1. After cutting open your pumpkin, scoop out the seeds. Separate seeds out with your hands and place seeds in a bowl.
2. Don’t wash the seeds. The moisture from the pulp will keep the seasoning on as the seeds roast with out using oil.
3. Sprinkle a few tsp. kosher salt over seeds. Mix with your hands.
4. I like plain salt, but add your favorite seasonings at this time while seeds are still moist.
Sugar/crushed chili pepper
5. Spread pumpkin seeds on a cookie sheet in a single layer. I place a layer of parchment paper on the cookie sheet to keep the seeds from sticking.
6. Bake in 325 degree F oven for 20 minutes. Stir your pumpkin
seeds every 10 minutes. Remove when seeds are lightly golden brown.
Don’t over bake. This will affect the flavor.
7. Cool and store in sealed containers.
Pumpkin seeds are so full of nutrition add them to your salads, trail mixes and even your granola. My husband just loves to snack on them while watching TV.Try these fun recipes you wouldn’t think of using pumpkin seeds in.
Caramelized Pumpkin Seeds
Pumpkin Seed Brittle